Saturday, December 29, 2012

considering a challenge

I clearly haven't been very successful in the past with keeping up when I say I'm going to do a series of blog posts or any kind of daily effort. Yet, I'm considering a challenge.

I wonder what it would be like to write here about my relationship with money and spending. I think that I overdo it, quite simply. It's one of the areas in my life where I have shame. It could definitely be worse (if I have more expendable income or higher credit limits!), but I think at this point it's bad enough. When I have extra money to spend, I do spend it. And then I feel yucky, and I look at all the stuff that surrounds me and I don't like it. It's actually simple, in terms of being able to connect a yucky feeling to overspending/overconsuming.

This has been a rough year, with my dad's death and some other unbloggable crud of life. It's also been a rewarding year, as I've gotten myself in running shape and I've achieved the goal of running a half-marathon and am staying with the fitness and weight loss journey.

The main goal I have for 2013 is to be free of credit card debt. Yes, ultimately, being free of all debt would be a good goal to have, but for 2013 I'm just trying to tackle credit card debt.

I hope I can write pretty honestly here about my thought process in wishing I could buy something and choosing not to, or refraining from doing an expensive activity in favor of saving my funds. Even just the focus and more public way of addressing it will probably be helpful.

I also just found this site: http://andthenwesaved.com and it looks helpful. I don't know that I will do the Spending Fast because it intimidates me and I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. It seems like it would completely max out my willpower and leave me a bit bereft. Just the planning for it seems overwhelming. But maybe once I get a bit further out from the brain drain of the Christmas season, I will have some more energy for it.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking about...I hope by even putting the intention out here in a more public way that it will help me to stay more accountable than I would have if I'd just kept the idea in my mind....I guess we'll see!

No comments: