Saturday, November 17, 2012

the struggler, not the expert

These lines from Kristin Armstrong's recent Mile Markers article really resonated with me.  This is basically the whole "never perfect, always real" philosophy in one great paragraph.  It's how I feel about ministry (when I give sermons), Christianity and faith, parenting, everything.

The things I write about are the things that I am passionate about, interested in, and fighting for in my life.  I do not write about these subjects because I think I am an expert, I write about them because I struggle.  I write about authenticity because I know what it is to be disingenuous.  I write about integrity because I know disgrace (and grace).  I write about courage because I know what it is to be weak.  I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing.  I write about generosity because I battle selfishness.  I write about joy because I know sorrow.  I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it.

1 comment:

terryb61 said...

Wow! Great passage! Thanks for sharing!