Sunday, January 29, 2006

Generally Grouchin'

I haven't been having the urge to write much lately because I've been in a generally foul mood most of the time, and I don't want my posts to just be bitch, bitch, bitch. The general grouchiness of my days has been culminating nasty arguments with DH almost every evening, which then blow over and give way to an actually pretty pleasant night. We're working on breaking out of this pattern...or, to phrase it a bit more forcefully, we NEED to break out of this pattern.

Speaking of patterns, in knitting news, I am still working on my second fuzzy foot. I am craving more time to work on it, but I haven't been able to find a way to make that time. I'm at a point with it right now where I need to concentrate, so I can't work on it while I'm on the phone or needing to listen to someone talk, or talk myself, like in a meeting. I need to take notes and keep track of how many rows on the heel I've worked on so I can avoid the pitfalls that took me down last time I was working on the first fuzzy foot (specifically, having too many stitches to pick up, not picking them all up, and then having a big hole in the side of the foot).

I did get to work a little bit on my prayer shawl (Angry Throw) while I was on the phone with my dad tonight, so at least that was some progress on one of my projects. I'm itching to start something new, with some nice, interesting yarn. I want to do the Knitty Bobblicious shawl next, but it's with Lion Brand Wool-Ease (not trying to sound too snobby here...but...) and I am just getting annoyed with Lion Brand since the shawl is in Homespun. Very soft, but obviously acrylic and the "four" plys (plies?) keep coming apart. Plus my nails are a bit long for knitting right now, and I need to get that taken care of because it's just annoying.

If you have any input on what I should try next (something beginner/easy level) please let me know! I'm wide open to suggestions. I may just do a more interesting scarf, like one with a cable, but I'm feeling in need of fresh, exciting ideas.

Hope everyone (including me!) has a good week!

3 comments:

AngeliasKnitting said...

A BAG! You should knit a bag! (I love them, so I feel everyone should love them) But bags can be simple to do. You can knit them in the round. Use 100% wool. And felt them. I'm loving the yarn my SP sent me (from KnitPicks). I haven't felted the bag (I knitted using that yarn) yet, but I loved knitting with it.

Ok...and anger is not usually the emotion we want to go into shawls. :-)

Maybe if you had an hour or so to knit in the evening, you would be relaxed and you & hubby wouldn't have the spats?

Glad you're still blogging, though!

String Bean said...

You should knit Forecast with us! (http://forecastkal.blogspot.com/)
Move on to a sweater!

Don't be grouchy and stressed out. Take a long bath, put cucumber slices on your eyes, light some lead-free smelly candles, and eat a pint of ben and jerry's.

String Bean said...

In response to your comment on Woolly Bliss and Divine Dining: I think Forecast would be a great sweater to start with. It doesn't have any shaping down the body (as in m1's or yo's) because all shaping is done with ribbing. The only increasing you do is for the raglan sleeve. It would keep you interested, too, because of the cable braid/bobbles down the arms, back, and front; the corrugated garter stitch that acts as a background for the cables; and the ribbing. If you didn't exactly like the original pattern, you should take a look at the variations done by Winnie at her blog: http://guavaseeds.blogspot.com/2006/01/color-of-prosperity.html

If you're intimidated by the cable braid/bobbles, as we all are, make a swatch. No matter what you're doing, you should always swatch. It's infinitely helpful.

If you're still worried, don't be! It's always good to try something new, even if it feels like jumping off a cliff. This isn't my first sweater, but I hope it will be my first successful one. All the others have been ripped and sworn at and visa-versa. So you won't be the only one making mistakes.