Sunday, December 26, 2010

reverb 10: december 26 - soul food


reverb 10

December 26

Soul Food:
What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth & touched your soul?

As I write this, I can smell the coq au vin cooking downstairs. My husband is using his new Wusthof knives that were a gift from my mother--side note: yikes! now I know how much she spent on him!--along with his new cast iron Dutch oven (not Le Creuset, but that may still be to come). My husband loves to cook, and everything he makes is delectable.

That being said, there have been times when we've eaten something amazing that he
hasn't cooked, and it has been amazing because there hasn't been the shuffling of children while he's cooking, and the rush to eat at a decent hour, and the awareness that the kitchen still needs scrubbed down. Some of our best meals last year include dinner at the Circular Dining Room at the Hotel Hershey:


And just recently we had a yummy fondue dinner at The Melting Pot in Towson, MD.


Who knew that they had a cookbook? I would love to make their classic cheese fondue...sooooo yummy!

I find that more and more I am trying to make choices that involve real, whole foods, less processed foods, less food on-the-go. It's still hard and I still grab fast food more than I want to admit, but I can see the it's not the fast-food meals that are enjoyable, but the ones that are homecooked or whole foods prepared by someone else and enjoyed with my husband. I realize even as I write this that it was certainly one of the things that we bonded on early on--our love of "fine dining." It has cost us a pretty penny over the years, but I don't think we've had any regrets about it.

No comments: