Wednesday, December 22, 2010

reverb 10: december 22 - travel


reverb 10

December 22

Travel: How did you travel in 2010? How and/or where would you like to travel next year?

I actually traveled more in 2010 than I have in several years. In fact, probably in 5 years!

The last trip I had taken before 2010 was to Ghana in 2005 for my Cross-Cultural assignment in seminary.

This year I went to Cleveland to the National Office of the UCC for a gathering in May, and then in June I went to Chicago to the 2030 Clergy Gathering. Two flights about a month apart from each other! I felt like such a jet-setter :)

It's so interesting to me that once I settled into a full-time call, I was presented with so many opportunities for travel and conferences and networking events. You actually reach a point where it just can't be done anymore, or else you might have a mutiny on your hands at the church you have actually been called to serve!

I hadn't traveled for 5 years because a year after returning from Ghana (approximately), in 2006, the week after Valentine's Day, we found out we were expecting my son, Jack, and then I was working in a corporate position until he was born.

Then I was a part-time assistant pastor/part-time church secretary for a while, and just didn't have the opportunity or expense account to do any traveling or conference-attending, though I think I might have still had the chance to sneak to some local continuing ed kinds of things.

Then in May 2008 we found out that Irene would be joining us in January 2009, so there was another limit on traveling (beyond beach vacations, but that's by car.)

So, finally, the travel options have opened up. In 2011, I expect to attend General Synod in Tampa, Florida, and who knows what else? To be honest, I don't mind flying, but I'm glad I don't have to do it all the time. You just have to give up so much control, and you're at the mercy of the weather, security, engine problems, etc etc etc. It doesn't bother me to mostly keep my feet on the ground. :)

No comments: