Monday, December 20, 2010

reverb 10: december 19 - healing


reverb 10

December 19

Healing: What healed you this year? Was it sudden, or a drip-by-drip evolution? How would you like to be healed in 2011?

This is my chance to gush about my therapist. She is a spiritual director/therapist/clergy coach, and I love her to pieces.



I called a clergy colleague right around Easter 2010 (how kind of me, no?) to ask her if she would have any interest in getting together and being sort of like CPE classmates for one another. Suffice it to say that in our conversation, I saw that this request was a bit overtaxing for her and that it wouldn't work, BUT she gave me a wonderful referral to the woman who is my current therapist.

Speaking of manifesting, if I may go there, it was sort of an uncanny thing, because in my mind I kept thinking, I need a new therapist, but I want/need a referral. I didn't just want to go to someone who I didn't know from Adam. I had done that before and it didn't go well (I mean, it wasn't horrible, but we definitely didn't connect.) After her, I went to a person who was referred by a friend, and she was wonderful to me in the year after my daughter was born, just helping me to reframe and stay positive, but she was also sort of meeting with me out of the goodness of her heart, and it was often difficult to schedule because she was a grandmother and had many family priorities. So when I was told about this current person, I thought I'd follow that lead because I had been praying for a referral, and it was a wonderful gift.

The biggest thing that she has done that has been helpful for me is to normalize some of the ways in which I tend to think that I am off-the-wall. She has helped me to understand why I think the way I do in certain settings, because of birth order, because of upbringing, because of the way I think. She helps to put things in perspective for me, and helps to alternately redirect me and affirm me as needed. She is definitely one of the most healing forces in my life right now, and has been since this past spring.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad you found her!